1. Lễ Hội Cố Đô Hoa Lư (Hoa Lu festival)
• When: April 5th to 7th (Lunar calendar) or the open gate ceremony will be held on April 4th (Western Calendar).
• Where: Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh province
• History: Hoa Lu used to be Old Vietnam ancient Capital. It was a National Holidays in the past that lead up to modern time.
• Highlight activities: open gate ceremony, water bringing ceremony, incense offering ceremony, fire bringing ceremony, shower ceremony, offering ceremony, religious parade, lighting lanterns, etc.
2. Nam Tri festival
One of the oldest practiced festival from god worship religious, one of the old Vietnamese religion, originally from the second century BC.
• When: March 8th (Lunar calendar) or April 4th (Western Calendar).
• Where: Nam Tri village, Hung Yen province
• History: Originally from the worship of three old generals (war gods): Bao, Lang, Bien
• Highlight activities: March 8th (Lunar Calendar) cleaning the shrine complex, shower ceremony. March 9th (Lunar Calendar) main festival. March 10th (Lunar Calendar) redoing the main ceremony to welcome other gods. March 12th (Lunar Calendar) three local village paying respects
• Why should visit: To understand more about Vietnamese culture and visit the ancient complex of the shrines
3. Giỗ tổ Hùng Vương (Hùng Kings' Temple Festival)
Hùng Kings' Temple Festival (Vietnamese: Giỗ Tổ Hùng Vương or lễ hội đền Hùng) is a Vietnamese festival held annually from the 8th to the 11th days of the third lunar month in honour of the Hùng Vương or Hùng Kings. The most important festival in Vietnam history.
• When: March 10th (Lunar calendar) or April 10th (Western Calendar).
• Where: Phong Chau District, Phu Tho province
• History: To honour the accomplishments of Hung Kings through the establishment of Dai Viet ( Ancient Vietnam) Although the official name is Death Anniversary of the Hung Kings (Vietnamese: Giỗ Tổ Hùng Vương), the date is traditional and does not mark any specific death date of any Hung King
• Highlight activities: The ceremony takes place over several days, but 10th day of the month is considered the most important. A procession starts at the foot of the mountain, and stops at every small temple before reaching the High Temple. Here pilgrims offer prayers and incense to their ancestors
• Why tourists should visit: The most important festival of the year with official days of and celebration from all across the country.
4. Lễ Hội Làng Cá Cát Bà (Cat Ba Festival)
Colorful, intense, fun and modern are the words that usually used to describe Cat Ba festival for wishing a better season; also named as popular Vietnamese Carnival. It’s a traditional festival with a twist of modernity added through time. Here is a guide for you to not miss the wonderful festival.
• When: This year April 1st, 2017 (Western Calendar).
• Where: Hai Phong province
• History: To honor the day when president Ho Chi Minh came and visit the fish village of Cat Ba on April, 1959. As well as the official day of Vietnam marine products industry and Cat Ba tourism
• Highlight activities: boats racing of all kinds
• Why should visit: Boat races (dragons boat, bowl boat, etc.) and the beautiful sceneries of Cat Ba
By Tiger team